At Halo Smart Labs, we want you to feel safe both in and around your home.
Keep your home secure with these 7 unexpected home safety tips:
- Keep Your Security Keypad Secure - If your entryway includes decorative glass or large windows, install your security keypad somewhere that isn’t visible from the doorstep to deter burglars from peering in to see if the alarm is set.
- Use a Mailbox, Not Mail Slot - Mail slots weaken a door’s integrity because they go against the wood grain, and this allows would-be burglars to more easily kick a door in. Install a mailbox or, if you must have a slot, keep it near the bottom of your door (no higher than ¼ the way up).
- Keep Car Keys By Your Bed - In the event of any suspicious noises, you can press the Panic button. A loud car alarm can often scare a burglar away for fear of being caught.
- Store Wood Away From Your Siding - Some thieves might use wood piled by the side of the house as a stepladder to break a window and gain entrance. Store your woodpile in the garage or away from your house, near the edge of the yard.
- Plant Thorny Shrubbery - Spikey plants like rose bushes or blackberries are not only pretty, but they’re also sharp enough that no one wants to want through them! Planting thorny bushes around your ground-floor windows beautifies your yard and discourages thieves from standing there to break your windows.
- Last-Minute Packing - If you don’t have a garage and are leaving for vacation, load your car in the morning right before leaving, rather than planning ahead and packing up the night before. Loaded cars parked in the driveway or on the street can act as flags for potential burglars, letting them know your house will soon be unoccupied.
- Post a Security System Decal - Even if you don’t have a security system, post a decal near your front door. The decal may be convincing enough to some would-be burglars.