More and more, the Internet of Things is at the forefront of tech innovation. Most new tech products function within this framework, which is why we’re seeing the increasing popularity of smart lightbulbs, sensors that help note and manage your morning routine, and home security options you can monitor from your phone. Here are just a few amazing stats about the Internet of Things:
- 1. Less than 1% of the things that could be connected to the internet currently are. Globally, there are 1.5 trillion internet-capable devices, and only 10 billion of those are connected.
- More than 2/3 of consumers say they plan to buy connected tech for their homes within the next three years…
- And nearly half of all consumers say the same for wearable technologies.
- Wearables continue to increase in popularity; wearable tech is estimated to become a $6 billion market this year, tripling in value since 2012.
- In 2012, 10% of cars were connected to the internet, while 90% were not By 2020, experts say those percentages will have flipped.
- Eight years ago, the number of objects connected to the internet surpassed the number of people on Earth.
- An amazing 94% of businesses investing in IoT have seen a return on those investments.
- By 2020, researchers estimate the global IoT market will be a $7.1 trillion dollar industry.
IoT is quickly becoming ingrained in our daily lives, helping people do and achieve more. Some are even calling it, instead of the Internet of Things, the Internet of Everything.